Re: Salary Negotiations & Contractors/Consultants

Subject: Re: Salary Negotiations & Contractors/Consultants
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:49:23 -0700

Anthony-

> Have you been more successful in salary negotiations for like work? Is
> there any ways around this?

First off, if your payment requirements really *are* requirements, then
any conversation that doesn't meet them is not worth your time. Get up
and leave. Right away.

If, on the other hand, they're a starting point and you're willing to
negotiate them, be aware that that's exactly what you're doing -
expressing a willingness to take less if other factors make the
assignment worth considering.

When asked for our rates, I usually quote a range and the other side
comes back with something, and we continue talking. If after a
reasonable amount of time the rate isn't something we can live with, all
things considered, I have no problem walking away.

If you can get your required rate in your market area, then the market
is telling me that your rate is accurate - for those market conditions.
Why bother with an assignment that isn't paying what the market is
paying?

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems