Putting clarifications to translators in review comments or...

Subject: Putting clarifications to translators in review comments or...
From: John Kohl <sasjqk -at- SABLE -dot- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:12:01 GMT

I've used mostly obscure and/or inhouse publishing tools during my
career, so...

Can y'all tell me whether most of the major publishing tools support the
inclusion of review comments or conditional text? For example, could
you use one of these methods to include explanations to translators re:
sentences that are unavoidably ambiguous or to explain product-specific
terminology (the idea being that these comments would be visible only in
the "translators' view" of the info and not in the final version)?

Can you give me examples of tools you've used that support some method
of doing this, and tell me what that method is called? (conditional
text? review comments? something else?)

This is for an article that I'm writing re: writing for international
audiences.

Thanks.

John Kohl, editor
SAS Institute