Color printing from PDF files

Subject: Color printing from PDF files
From: Sharon Burton <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:04:20 -0700

I need some advice. I have a small 2 color printing job I gave to a printer
who said that he could print from the PDF files and get the color output we
want. I gave him a PDF file created in PageMaker with the colors and all
absolutely correct. The right pantone color, etc. If you print it on a color
printer, it is exactly correct.

The colors are black and purple. When I got the order, the purple bar that
has text across it is actually a pixel of black and a pixel of purple and so
on, across the band of color. The white text (actually text, not a graphic)
on the purple band is jagged, not smooth. It looks like it was rasterized
when it was printed.

He says that this is the way it is going to look, no matter what. We used a
different printer when we did something like this before who got the color
wrong - although it was a smooth color - but otherwise the purple band
looked right and the text was smooth. Needless to say, this is unacceptable.
The printer says he will have it redone but he expects the order to look the
same, regardless.

My question to all the printing gurus is - what did he do to my file when he
printed it and why are these results so very wrong? And why was it done
correctly by another printer and this guy swears that it can't be done?

Has anyone had problems color printing from PDF files? What is the printer
not doing that I can suggest he do to get it right?

sharon

Sharon Burton
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=