Re: HTML word processor?

Subject: Re: HTML word processor?
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- SODALIA -dot- IT>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 10:12:44 +0200

Dan said:
>I need help finding a good HTML editor.
>
>Needs to be WYSIWYG.
>Shouldn't mangle HTML tags.

David said.
This is a great misconception. There is no such thing as a WYSIWYG HTML
editor.

What You See Is What You Get simply does not apply. What you get depends
entirely on what browser you use. Users with the same browser as you
will see what you see (but even then they may have a different screen
size or resolution). Users with any other browser will almost certainly
see something different.

Brian says:

I think David is exagerating a bit. Pretty-near WYSIWYG HTML editing is
available. I am currently using Front Page 98. I like it a lot. It
allows you to work in near WYSIWIG, hand code/debug HTML tags at the
click of a tab button, view what you've done at the click of a tab.

Keep in mid that to use Front Page, you must install a web server. I
can't remember if it has to be Microsoft's, but that's what we
installed. Furthermore, MS web server requires that you have NT.

Also keep in mind that the program is occasionally quirky, especially in
the view mode. It "remembers" the wrong links sometimes, but this is so
far an acceptable tradeoff. I can always view my files with a real
browser.

David is correct, though, that no HTML editor can guarantee what the
viewer will see.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=