Re: Learning Framemaker

Subject: Re: Learning Framemaker
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 20:02:16 -0500

In our previous episode, Elvin Thurston said:
> Other than spending 1-2 years getting a Masters (which I am following
> up) does anybody have any ideas about how to get into this exciting
> field?

Well, I was able to parlay related experience (documenting procedures
in my previous job) into a contract where they were willing to deal
with an entry-level tech writer. That lasted almost two years, and
now I have some real credentials. I don't know if you can do anything
comparable, but you might think about what related experience you
have, if any, that might be applicable.

> Does anyone know how to get experience with Framemaker without having
> job first? No courses in this area!

Find a friend with a copy who's willing to lend you his or her
installation disk on a temporary basis. Work through the tutorial
that comes with the program. And then delete the program and buy your
own copy once you find work. Or just buy a copy to start with -- if
you're serious about tech writing, it's a worthwhile investment.

It's not that difficult to learn, if you're already proficient with
word processors.

Good luck!

Beth Friedman How about those Cubs?
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com