Re: art as role in tech writing

Subject: Re: art as role in tech writing
From: "House, Barry" <BHouse -at- LRS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:47:57 -0500

Creating any kind of 'image' is where I draw a very straight, bold line.
As I've mentioned before, I feel that layout and page design are very
much a part of technical writing because good design will help
communicate the technical content. But I'm not an illustrator, I'm not a
graphic artist, and not even the most advanced software will make me
one. When high-quality graphics are needed, a high-quality artist is
needed.

Having ranted all that, you mention having 'an extensive art
background.' Perhaps you could draw some art the old-fashioned way, scan
it, and enhance it as needed with the appropriate graphics software.

For the rest of us, I recommend hiring an artist. If nothing else, get a
freelancer to work on a project-by-project basis.

Barry House

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=