Re: art as role in tech writing

Subject: Re: art as role in tech writing
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:32:42 -0400

Cyndy Davis wrote:

> Does anyone have any great tips on how to quickly learn graphic programs (CorelDraw, PhotoShop)?

All of us have our own learning styles, so YMMV, but I tend to learn a
new piece of software by opening up a scratch file when my head is clear
and no one is pestering me (6:30 am is good), and exploring what all the
menu items will do. If something isn't intuitively obvious, I check
online help. If that's murky, I check to see whether the manual has more
depth. Once I have a clearer idea of what I don't know, I ask someone
who does know (often through a Usenet news group). Then I try a couple
of walk-before-you-can-run projects before tackling anything that the
public will see in finished form.

As to your choice of tools, you will receive numerous opinions. You may
find that a single tool can produce all of the things you need to
create, or you may find you need more than one. Depends on the design
concepts involved. You should also check out the built-in graphics
capabilities of the tools you already use for charts and such. You may
find features you haven't used before; and you have the advantage of
general familiarity with the interface.

> Do most tech writers find design issues on their desk? I'm not referring to flowcharts and simple diagrams(line art) for manuals, I'm referring to actual marketing, advertising images. I'm beginning to think we need a graphic artist on staff.

Trying out a new adage; whaddaya think: Pigeonholes are for pigeons.

You say you combine verbal agility, artistic talent, and an
understanding of the principles of graphic design. If you can also be
honest enough in evaluating your own work to reject anything that
doesn't meet the standards you'd set if you were buying the work from
someone else, then you should be able to win points with your employer
by taking on the graphics along with the words. Or you may prefer to
stay with graphic arts (layout, typography, design) and leave
illustration to freelance artists--probably cheaper than bringing in a
full-time artist, and allows for a greater variety of styles to choose
from.

Having said all that, let me add that it's rare for one person to be
good at technical documentation, advertising copywriting, marketing
communication, graphic arts, and illustration. So don't be embarrassed
to tell your employer what you feel you are good at and what you feel
someone else would be better at.

Good luck!

Dick

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=