Re: inhouse vs outside doc (RE: Good/bad docs)

Subject: Re: inhouse vs outside doc (RE: Good/bad docs)
From: Dan Roberts <DRoberts -at- ISOGON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:47:38 -0400

A few clarifications on my original post, because heated discussions
inadvertantly get started.

* I wrote "we inhouse writers" mainly 'cuz I've been on the inside of
the company (either as an employee or contractor). And 'cuz it looks
from a lot of sig lines that a lot of folks are employed inside
companies (even if it is their own consulting firm), rather than a
writer signing a contract with McMillan, for example, to produce a book
to be sold at Barnes&Noble.

* I'm not trying to knock contractors working inside a company. I was
one, could be one again. Again, I was more intending to compare and
contract the documentation produced *by the company about their product
and which is available at product release* and the documentation
available via Barnes&Noble or Amazon.com.

What I'm wondering, sorta, is: if a significant number of users think
that they can get a better book about using WidgetPro2000 than the
WidgetPro company turns out, then what about the 2 books caused this
situation?

Dan Roberts
droberts -at- isogon -dot- com