Acronyms

Subject: Acronyms
From: "McKenna, Colleen" <cmckenna -at- SPSS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:03:18 -0500

Hi Linda--

I just wanted to add to the answers you have received about the acronym
SPSS.

The previous posters are only somewhat correct: SPSS used to stand for
"Statistical Package for the Social Sciences." However, SPSS Inc. is a
company, and our primary product is the statistical software package SPSS.
Anymore, SPSS the company name stands for "Statistical Product and Service
Solutions" and SPSS the software "officially" doesn't stand for anything.
(The current software is useful for more than just social sciences.)

SPSS the company makes a wide range of software, most of it geared toward
statistical analysis, graphing, and market research tasks. Check us out at
www.spss.com if you need more info.

Colleen McKenna
Publications Department
SPSS Inc.