Dividing the Tech writer job

Subject: Dividing the Tech writer job
From: Melissa Conniff <mconniff -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:37:14 -0500

My department just got reorganized--in this case it's a good thing! We are
creating a documenation department from the ground up. Currently, in this group
there is me, the tech writer, and two Documentation girls who do not have any tech
writing background.

Here is the problem. The Documentation girls are literally typists. The practice
around here is a SME writes up something, gives it to the girls to be typed *as
is*, formated and printed. Then the SME reviews it and makes any corrections.
The Documentation girl then types the corrections and reprints. So literally, the
Documentation girls do not make *any* change to the document unless they were told
to do so.

Both my boss and I want to see a change in how documents are handled around here,
included adding more tech writers!!! ;-> BUT, I am at a loss as to how to
structure a work flow with these two girls. I'm used to doing everything myself.
I work in Frame and these girls don't yet know Frame (they are going to go to
classes! ;-> I've tried to teach one of the girls, but she is having a difficult
time grasping some of the basic concepts--such as multiple master pages and
different text flows. So I do not have high hopes that these girls would be able
to grow into tech writers within the next year or so.)

We are trying to devlope a plan in which definitive roles are established so that
everyone knows what their jobs are.

Can anyone help me? I remember reading from other postings that some companies do
have the jobs divided, but how? Who does what? Do the boundries ever cross? Who
keeps it all in check? Do you have a Pubs manager who tracks it?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!!!

Thank you!!!
Melissa

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=