Re: Question about LEDs

Subject: Re: Question about LEDs
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:11:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Porrello, Leonard [SMTP:leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 1:56 PM

>> I'm glad Catheryn asked the question below. I write "when the LED
turns
>> red..."
>> How does that sound?
>> Here's my logic: the object physically changes color rather than
>> displaying or showing a color. Does this make sense?

>I like the rhyme. But the LED doesn't actually turn red;
>it is red all along.

Not necessarily. An LED is red because it emits red light (as opposed
to emitting white light that is filtered through a red gel, for
example). If it happens to be one of those LEDs that can emit two or
three different colours, the plastic dome is colourless.

BTW, "when the LED turns red" doesn't rhyme, unless you're in the habit
of spelling out *all* your colours. 8-)

>You may want to switch to a passive construction. Something
>like: "When the LED is illuminated. . . ."

Illuminated by the current passing through it, or the light bulb hanging
over it? <g>

You could say the LED "comes on" or "goes off." I personally try to shy
away from using the same word as noun and verb if possible, but saying
the LED "lights" is probably clear enough.

If the LED doesn't always stay lit continuously, say it "flashes" or
"blinks."

If the colour of the LED is important, then it "lights red" or "flashes
orange."

Take care,

Scott
(Disclaimer: I flunked electricity pretty badly in school; I just seem
to have to document LEDs a lot.)

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc. (613) 599-9199 x516