Re: Question about LEDs

Subject: Re: Question about LEDs
From: "Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:53:14 -0400

Mason, Catheryn wrote:

> Hi folks:
> I'm writing a data sheet about an electronic component with LEDs that
> indicate when system alarms have been received. I've never before
> written about LEDs, and would appreciate any advice about the best word
> to use for a description such as the one below. (I need to supply a list
> of LEDs and their functions.)
>
> "CRIT: Critical Alarm indicator - will display red when the system has
> received a critical alarm." Does the LED display, or show, or ... ?

I don't like "display red" because it suggests that it displays not-red
at other times, when in fact it's always red (assuming it's a normal
LED). What's important is that it is on, off, or possibly flashing. I
would say something like:

> "CRIT: Critical Alarm indicator [red] - illuminates when the system has
> received a critical alarm."

Another reason not to make too big a deal out of the color is that,
especially in field-serviced equipment, the color may wind up getting
changed out of expediency some day (i.e., the bulb burned out and the
field engineer had only yellow ones in his kit). Stranger things have
happened.

If there are several indicators, you may do better to create a table:

Label Indicator Color State
----- -------------- ----- -------------------------------
CRIT Critical Alarm Red ON: Critical alarm received
FLASHING: Circuit fault

Or something like that, especially if this is an operator's manual as
opposed to a design specification.

If there are other indications, such as an audible alarm, I would
indicate this in the table as well. I would also put a page reference to
find the procedure for responding to the alarm. I hate it when manuals
tell me what's wrong but I have to hunt around to find the part on how
to fix it.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Computer Consulting Services -- http://www.cti-pro.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=