Re: Getting started in tech writing...

Subject: Re: Getting started in tech writing...
From: Bill Swallow <swallow -at- USERTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:28:19 -0400

Seven years ago I boldly ventured on a quest to become an architect. I had the artistic background, I had the design perspective, I had the problem-solving mindset. I thought I had the mathematical knowhow...

The first year at college (dear ol' RPI) went well; 3.2, can't complain. Third semester came... Structural analysis? OK... just some calculus right? Oh my God! I can't keep up!

I had to sacrifice design time to try and keep up in structures, and thus EVERYTHING suffered (structures class, design class, all other classes, social life...) so like any self-respecting student, I bailed - fast!

So I'm at home over Xmas break wondering what I'm going to do. I just spent a year and a half building solid friendships and I loved the school; I didn't want to leave the school, but I'm not engineering material. Then I remembered what a favorite teacher of mine from high school said: "You'd make a better writer, but good luck in architecture". I should have listened to him in the first place.

I checked our RPI's other schools and hey! Communications... I'll give it a go. Well, it was a great choice. I enjoyed the coursework, and I was good at it!

So then I graduated. Yay! I'm out! Oh no! Real World! Like any non-science major at RPI I had to job hunt on my own, and luckily a friend of mine gave me a job in the translation company he worked at.

So then I was a typesetter. Joy oh joy. But the environment was nice to work in, and I had a chance to master a lot of applications (Quark, PageMaker, Word, Photoshop, Corel draw, Illustrator...). While working there I continued my search for a "real job", and 11 months later I was hired as... no, not a tech writer... an online Help author.

Day one on the job I had to learn RoboHelp, day two I got my first project, and day five it was due. But I survived. Actually I soared. After six months I became the company's authority for Online Help, and from there I branched into Web design and CBT development. Note: no tech writing yet.

So now I found a new job where I'll have to work my way up again - this time as a tech writer. It's been about three years since I have written any tech docs from scratch, so the first few weeks are sure to be painful. But I have faith in myself and my abilities.

So is this what you were looking for?

Bill Swallow - Team Leader
Usertech - Norwalk CT
phone: 203.851.4328