Re: Conceit, or,How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Competition (long)

Subject: Re: Conceit, or,How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Competition (long)
From: Bill Swallow <swallow -at- USERTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:40:42 -0400

Yes, as a trained, qualified, graduate-of-the-school of hard knocks, I
am VERY concerned about people coming in and taking jobs. I witness it
every day. I get calls (as Mentoring Project manager of the local STC
chapter) weekly of people who "heard about tech writing" and they say
"well, I've got pretty good grammar skills. I know how to use Word. Can
you help me get a job as a technical writer? I hear it pays pretty
good." The sad part of this is that they DO find jobs. In this area,
tech writers appear to be in demand and less experienced people are
willing to work for less. They may be pretty good, but there are none of
them who would not be better with a little training.

I'm sorry, but if you have a good deal of experience under your belt and you have earned your keep, you won't be replaced by cheap lesser-skilled labor - unless your managers are complete morons - in which case why are you putting up with them in the first place.

Anyone with enough experience in the field should know that it's not the wage rates that decide positions - it's the product people produce. If you're a 20 year veteran and all you ever did was write up what you were told and not a smidge else, well then don't be surprised when Johnny Neophite takes your seat.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh or out of line, but I believe that a job is NOT only a means of paying the bills. If that's all I wanted then I would go into painting, landscaping, plumbing or electrical work. The cash/work ratio in these lines of work is rediculous. I do what i do because I like it, and I make it a point to be the best I can - not for my employer, but for me. Otherwise I get bored, and being bored sucks! But by enjoying what I do and making it a point to stay ahead, i have proven to be irreplaceable in my company.

Bill Swallow - Team Leader
Usertech - Norwalk CT
phone: 203.851.4328
fax: 203.866.4685