Re: spaces

Subject: Re: spaces
From: GM Vick <gmv -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:50:36 -0700

The standard when typewriters were widely used was two spaces. Since
computers/desktop publishing became the prominent way to create
documents, one space has been the preferred method by many. This started,
I believe, because at first people were encouraged to do as typeSETTERs
did, and have both right and left margins justified. If you have two
spaces fter the period in this ituation, you get really ugly gaps
between words. Then people realized that you get really ugly gaps with
both margins justified no matter what you do, so left justification with one
period between sentences became standard practice in computed environments.

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Shaun McNamara wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently got into a debate about using two spaces or one space after a
> period in a Word document, being told to use only one space. At my last
> Technical Writing job my manager was adamant about using two spaces after a
> period, and I have become accustomed to using two spaces. How does
> everyone/anyone feel about this issue? Is there some sort of existing
> rule? One of the reasons given to me was that because more and more
> documents are converted to HTML or uploaded to the web in file
> repositories, space is an issue, hence single spacing.
>
> NOTE: I know that FrameMaker has a feature that disallows you from manually
> double-spacing, and it makes up for the space ratio that should exist after
> a period as opposed to a space between words. I have not worked much in
> FrameMaker, but I have used Doc-To-Help with Word. I cannot really tell
> whether a similar convention exists in word. It seems that the period
> gives the illusion of a different space ratio, but I cannot tell for sure.
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Shaun
>

> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=