Is there a market for a dual-purpose font

Subject: Is there a market for a dual-purpose font
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:11:16 -0700

Like many pubs departments, we've been moving much of our printed matter
to online form. I assume that, like us, everyone involved in this
process hates to keep two sets of docs, one with sans serif font for
onscreen, and one with seriffed font for print.

A simple solution would be to have the body font in docs be one that
prints with a serif and appears onscreen sans serif.

(Does anyone know if there is such a thing?) In asking font foundaries,
I've found it's theoretically possible in Postscript Type 3 fonts, but
none of them wants to make the font on spec.

If there's not such a thing, how many pubs departments would be
interested in one if it existed? A custom font costs thousands of
dollars plus licensing. A commercially available font is much less
expensive. Perhaps some of you would like to search for fonts on Yahoo,
and ask some of the font foundaries to make such a font for you too.
Maybe we can stir them up so they'll make one...:-)

Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=