Re: Software Piracy (WAS: Good/bad docs)

Subject: Re: Software Piracy (WAS: Good/bad docs)
From: "Engstrom, Douglas D." <EngstromDD -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:06:04 -0500

************************
So the company that a list member works at excels at reinventing the
wheel. I can think of better ways to spend my time than by doing that.
:D
************************
Well, Michelin, Goodyear, etc. make a rather good business of
re-inventing the wheel, year in and year out. If you can create a
better, more usable wheel by doing so, and it benefits your company &
users to have a better wheel, why not? If you can think of better ways
to spend your time, feel free to do so.

************************
If a person doesn't have any confidence in Microsoft documentation,
why use their software? It's got to be just as bad, if I follow the
logic as presented.
************************
No logic concerning the relationship between suitability of code a
suitability of documentation was presented. Microsoft produces software
that is "good enough" for most of our uses, and offers the advantages of
using widely-accepted software: compatibility with other products,
off-the-shelf training, and reasonable assurance that the vendor will be
around next week. They don't produce, in our opinion, a suitable
documentation set and we don't use it. The two circumstances don't have
much to do with each other.

> ************************
> Companies like this not only fail in the long run, they
> also make the lives of their sys admins that much more unbearable
> during regular business hours by not letting their employees get up to
speed.
> ************************
> Nope. Sorry. Pioneer Hi-Bred is 72 years young, and we're the people
> you have contend with if you want to be a player in the North American
> agricultural seeds business. (And not insignificant in most other
> parts of the world, either.)
************************
[George Mena] How does this relate to technical writing?
It was a rebuttal-by-example of your over-broad and rather churlish
assertion that companies that don't purchase the MS doc set are
substandard across the board and doomed to early failure.

Skoal,

Doug Engstrom
engstromdd -at- phibred -dot- com

My opinions only, not those of Pioneer