Job Hunting (Was: Jobs in Chicago area?)

Subject: Job Hunting (Was: Jobs in Chicago area?)
From: "Engstrom, Douglas D." <EngstromDD -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:28:42 -0500

WordWriter:

This is written in reply to:

****************************
I want to be in a position where the tech writing department is more
than one person (me).
****************************
That's how I started out as a tech writer; the first-and-only for a
12-person agricultural software company. It's a good way to start,
since you get to put your hands on all parts of the process, but it can
be wearing and does limit your opportunity for growth.

****************************
Basically, I'd like to find a position in or around Chicago where I
could
work with at least one other technical writer. Thus far, I've only done
software documentation, but I've gone through two versions in my year,
and
feel I'm up for more challenge. I've used Doc-To-Help to create both
the
printed and online help,
****************************
That all sounds reasonably marketable. And the desire for a mentor (or
at least a peer) is a perfectly valid reason for changing jobs.

****************************
So far, I've seen job listings around for technical writers with more
than
two years experience - and I don't have that yet
****************************
Don't let that stop you. Companies ask for their vision of the ideal
candidate, on the off-chance that the ideal candidate might walk through
the door. They'll typically settle for much less. The rule of thumb is
that if you want the job and can meet three out of the five listed
requirements, it's at least worth an application.

I've also heard that some companies slip in additional requirements as a
salary negotiating ploy ("We'd like to offer more, but since you don't
speak fluent Swahili...") but I don't know if this is true or not.

****************************
Does anyone out there have any ideas on what to do, or where to go?
...I'd also like some advice on where to turn, what to look for, etc.
Starting out in a career and life is
difficult, and I want to make sure that I'm at least heading down the
correct path, even if it isn't the most direct route to take.
****************************
Having hunted for a few jobs and helped other people hunt for a couple,
I have
some suggestions. First, you need to generate leads--lists of potential
employers. The jobs sections of the local papers are a good place to
start. Here are some other ideas, in no particular order:

1) Join STC (Society for Technical Communication) and avail yourself of
the following services:

* Attend local chapter meetings faithfully. Meet people, talk about
their jobs and companies. Find out who is growing, even if they are not
necessarily hiring at the moment. Maintain close tabs on growing
companies that you like; make sure they know you're available, but don't
beat them over the head with it. When openings come up, you'll be among
the first to know, and their comfort level with you will be higher
because you're a "known face."

* Check out the STC on-line job postings at http://stc.org/jobs.html

* Get to know the job bank coordinator of the Chicago chapter.

* For membership info, visit the Web site at http://stc.org/ or write
STC headquarters at stc -at- stc-va -dot- org

NOTE: STC is not the only Technical Writing professional organization
that offers similar services, and other organizations may be just as
strong or stronger in your area. However, I'm not familiar with their
offerings.

2) Don't underestimate your college placement office; my first two
technical
writing positions came from ads in my alma mater's job bank.

3) Work the Web. Search the Internet (many companies advertise on line)
and get your resume posted on your personal Web site. Many Internet
service providers offer a free Web page with a subscription. While you
don't want to *depend* on this, it can make a good supplemental
strategy.

As you're developing your list of leads, you need to start thinking
about the next phase of the process, sending out resumes and
(hopefully!!) getting an interview.

1) Sending out a truckload of resumes is not very efficient or
effective. I
know lots of people who say "Gee, I sent out 40,000 resumes and didn't
get a
single interview." When you ask how many follow-up calls they did, they
look
blank. They've expended all their effort in bulk mail, and don't have
anything
left to pursue the most promising leads.

NOTE: As with all job-hunting advice, this is a YMMV situation. The last
time I posted this advice, I provoked a prompt reply from someone who
used the mass-market approach and landed their dream job. In *my*
experience, I've seen this tried lots of times and I've never seen it
work.

2) Apply to jobs that you really want. Unless the ad specifically
states "No calls," call and ask about the job first. If you have time,
do a
little research on the company--what does it make, who are its
customers, where
is it positioned? (scrappy newcomer, serenely dominant, struggling
middle tier,
prosperous niche, etc.) If possible, find out who the position will
report to.
Then, write a letter *to that company* explaining why you want *their
job.*
This makes a far better impression than an one-size-fits-all cover
letter. Customize your resume, too.

Also, remember that your cover letter and resume are pieces of
professional
writing--they should be the best you'll ever do. Prospective employers
will
assume that you'll never do better for them in terms of organization,
grammar,
spelling, etc. than you do when writing for yourself in the cover
letter. (I
mention this only because I've seen a lot of really bad cover letters
lately.)

3) Once the letter and resume are sent, follow up in a couple days with
a phone
call to ask if your stuff arrived, if there is anything else they want
(transcript, references, etc.) and when you can expect to hear from
them. This
has several effects, all good. First, you make sure your stuff is on
the right
desk; both the US and internal corporate mail have been known to lose
things.
Second, it's another indicator to the company that you are interested in
their
job, not just any job. Third, it gets you noticed, since they will
probably
have to sift through the pile and pull your stuff out to verify that
it's there.
Finally, if they indicate at that point that you're out of the running,
you may
be able to get them to talk about why (thus identifying weaknesses that
may be
correctable) and to talk about other job opportunities they know about
in other
companies (because they feel bad and will want to help you).

4) Remember that regardless of a company's formal policy, it is almost
always
true that the best candidate does not get the job; the *safest*
candidate will
usually get the job. Consider it from the hiring managers perspective.
If the
candidate is hired and does well, this is considered largely a function
of the
candidate's merit, not the hiring manager's wisdom. If the candidate is
hired
and performs as expected, the hiring manager is perceived as simply
doing his or
her job. However, if the candidate fails (particularly in a dramatic
way) the
immediate question is "Who the hell hired this person?" In almost all
companies, the internal incentives function make managers much more
interested
in eliminating the worst candidates than finding the best ones. That's
one
reason for the premium on experience. While it's true that experienced
people
are generally somewhat more productive than the inexperienced, their
real
attraction is that they are perceived as blowing up less often.

5) After the interview, follow up with a thank-you note. If the
interview
group is small, hit everybody you talked to, but in day-long, mass
consultation affairs, remembering the key HR person and key business
person
is probably enough. Don't goof up your performance by fussing about
names.

The thank-you presents the following opportunities:

* Again re-emphasizes your interest in *their* job, not just any job.

* Establishes you as a courteous, well-brought-up person who would be
pleasant to work with. (A *very* underrated quality by technical job
seekers, who often feel they can be as abrasive as they want as long as
they're "competent." Major error.)

* A last-ditch chance to bring up anything you want to emphasize that
didn't come up in the interview. For example, if you're a Macintosh
whiz,
and they're a heavy Mac shop, casually mention how much you would enjoy
using their advanced equipment, which is similar to what you have at
home,
used in a design course, etc., etc. Or, you may want to profess your
admiration for a particular technology or method that they are using: "I
look forward to being able to apply the Information Mapping principles I
learned last fall...." Be careful about this; it's possible to lay it
on
too thick, but handled correctly, it can be a plus.

6) And of course, remember the advice of the immortal Winston Churchill:
"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never,
never, give up!"

Skoal,

Doug Engstrom
engstromdd -at- phibred -dot- com

"Now, you know a refuge never grows from
a chin on a hand and a thoughtful pose,
got to tend the Earth if you want a rose."

-- The Indigo Girls

My opinions only, not those of
Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=