Re: My Document is Too Big to Print! Need Suggestions for Printer, Please

Subject: Re: My Document is Too Big to Print! Need Suggestions for Printer, Please
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:15:55 -0700

At 02:35 PM 8/13/98 -0700, Linda Castellani wrote:
>[many details snipped to avoid e-mail from eric %^)]

My heartfelt thanks to those of you who responded so generously with your
time and advice: Brian Flaherty, Phyllis Palmer, Dianna Massey, Denise
Fritch, David Castro, Bill Burns, Jane Bergen, John David Hickey, Steve
Gotler, Roger Mallett, Win Day, jarnopol, and especially Tim Altom who gave
me lots of ammo to take to MIS.

Suggestions ranged from reducing graphic sizes to linking files to spooler
size and location, all of which I will try as this document progresses.

It turns out that there *is* a spooler on the system - a server, which is
full, and therefore rejecting any and all attempts to spool files for the
printer, thus frustrating me (and my co-workers) in attempts to print. MIS
tried to work around that by installing JetDirect on my system (which lets
you bypass the spooler entirely and send jobs directly to the printer), but
it turned out that they couldn't do it for an NT system, at least not yet.
We're a fairly new start-up and it seems that our growing pains are evident
in this issue.

Next, I'll work on size of graphics, and then launch into the daunting task
of learning how to link files.

In the meantime, though, we are still very interested in pursuing
additional printer solutions, so if anybody can answer the following
question, it will be greatly appreciated:

>So, I'm wondering: does anybody have a high-speed color printer that they
>are happy with, that can handle paper docs as well as transparencies with
>good quality and fast?

==========================
Linda Castellani
Technical Writer