Re: A question of Grammar

Subject: Re: A question of Grammar
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:37:53 -0700

"Type into" looks strange to me, yet no one else has commented on that
aspect of this. Shouldn't it be "Type the supplier's address *in* the
box"? Not, "Type the supplier's address *into* the box"? With the added
benefit that it eliminates the need to worry about "Address of the
supplier" versus "Address for the supplier."

The reason I ask is because I've noticed that I see usage such as "Input
the address" which seems equally strange to me, and I wonder, what's wrong
with saying, "Enter the address in the box"?

I almost hate to mention this, out of fear that these constructions have
become the latest thing, sort of like the one space/two space debate, or
that this is the kind of grammar question that Eric doesn't want to see on
the list.

>Chris Hill asks:
>
>I'm in the process of authoring What's This Help for an application.
>One field, labelled Address, is used to capture address details. In
>terms of the Help text, which is appropriate,
>
>'Type the Address of the supplier into this box'
>
>or
>
>'Type the Address for the supplier into this box'.

==========================
Linda Castellani
Technical Writer
GRIC Communications, Inc.