Re: Max. TOC length

Subject: Re: Max. TOC length
From: Chris Hulin <chrish -at- NOTES -dot- CTL -dot- COM -dot- CY>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:14:55 +0300

We are experimenting with two levels of ToC:

* an overall ToC for an entire 500-odd-page manual, consisting of one or
two levels only, and occupying one or two pages.

* a mini-ToC in each section of the manual, consisting of two or three
levels below the overall ToC, hopefully also occupying one or two pages.
The mini-ToC coincides with a tabbed divider

I think this makes the main ToC more digestible, which may encourage the
user to actually read the manual before calling tech support.

Of course this is a pain to achieve in FrameMaker, 'cos we have to make
zillions of extra book files, and generate everything in the correct
sequence so that the page numbers run in their single long sequence.

Chris Hulin (whose HPLJ4siMXPS just passed the 1.5 million page mark)
Nicosia

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=