Re: FW: SONATA = Situation ON Allocating Time for Additionalities

Subject: Re: FW: SONATA = Situation ON Allocating Time for Additionalities
From: Robin McCloud <RMcCloud -at- TFMG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:02:13 -0700

Julie Sullivan asked:

If you wanted to write a book in your spare time would you feel *obligated*
to tell your employer? And would your employer own the rights to your book
if you had signed a paper that said such? I don't think so. But I tend not
to worry about legalities!
***
Writing a book that ends up as the company's property. Hmmm. I don't think a
company could govern your creativity when you are writing on your own time.
However, I recall a story I was told when I worked for the aerospace
business. Reportedly, there was a writer who had spare time on her hands at
work (you know - the hurry up and wait scenario?). Instead of sitting doing
nothing, or going to school during work hours (which was allowed), she
decided to write a book on her company's time. It was housed on her work PC,
and somehow her supervisor caught wind of her "hobby." The company
consequently confiscated her files, terminated her employment due to lack of
productivity, and somehow kept the rights to the book she wrote. She was not
allowed to publish it. Now, that could be a professional legend, but I do
remember hearing the story. Perhaps it was the government's way to scare us
into submission. :-)

Robin Mc2 (McCloud McDonald)
Sr. Technical Communicator
Manager, Information Development Department
The FAST Management Group, Inc.
Redmond WA
<http://www.tfmg.com> www.tfmg.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=