Word filename field

Subject: Word filename field
From: David Chisma <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:59:51 +1000

Dear Techwhrlers,

Can anyone explain this Word 97 behaviour? Many of our document
templates have, as part of the footer, the field for the filename and
path 'FILENAME \p'.

On some PCs (Windows 95 running on a Novell network), the path is
reliably reproduced as the name we're used to (for example,
'L:\T&T\9821\Letter20Aug.doc'). However, on other PCs, the entire
network path is reproduced (for example,
'\\SMFS1\VOL2\PROJECTS\T&T\9821\Letter20Aug.doc').

In other words, the portion of the path '\\SMFS1\VOL2\PROJECTS' gets
printed in full instead of being abbreviated to the letter 'L', the
drive to which this portion of the network is mapped. That really screws
up footers!

Sometimes, the affected document can be fixed by closing and re-opening
it. But that doesn't work reliably. Some docs stubbornly remain buggered
and printing the whole network path regardless what I try. You can click
on the field, press F9 to update it, try and unlock the field (Ctrl+F11
if I remember correctly), and then try to update. And so on.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

Regards, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au
Melbourne, Australia

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=