version numbering conventions

Subject: version numbering conventions
From: David Chisma <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:18:58 +1000

Dear Techwhrlers,

I'm curious to know if there is a predominant method to number versions
of documents. At my workplace, at least two systems are used.

My department uses a decimal style number where whole numbers (such as
1.0) indicate a 'released' product and decimal points (such as 1.1)
indicate a revision (not released).

Another department uses a 'P' to indicate an unreleased version, where
P0 would be the initial draft, P1, the second draft, and so on. Released
products would be called 'Amendments', where Amendment 0 is the initial
release and Amendment 1, the second release, and so on. Does anyone know
where this system originated?

Everywhere else I look I seem to see a different system. What do you
use?

Cheers, Dave Chisma

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=