Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting

Subject: Re: FWD: Resources for Do's and Don't of Contracting
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:47:07 -0700

Porrello, Leonard wrote:

> On John's point below, exactly how does one get the highest rate?

Rather embarrassing but, ultimately, happy story:

When I was called about my current contract and asked what my salary
requirements were, I gave the minimum and said I would prefer $5 - $10
per hour more. That's the usual response for me. Later, I couldn't
remember what salary had been agreed upon and waited curiously for the
first pay day to roll around. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw I
had gotten my top figure.
Don't know if that helps you, but I guess you just have to be brave and
up your base rate, taking the chance that you will miss out on a few
contracts because of it. (The low rate I gave was what I had made on my
previous contract, and I had learned that for a senior writer with as
much experience as I had I was asking way too little...and so I climb
the salary ladder.)

Just look 'em in the eye and say, "I want the world, and I'm worth it."
N.B. It is absolutely essential that you don't flinch as though waiting
for an explosion after this little declaration. If they think you
believe you're worth it, they'll be more inclined to believe it, too.

BJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=