Need for & Influences of Tech Writers

Subject: Need for & Influences of Tech Writers
From: "Moxley, Joseph" <moxley -at- CHUMA1 -dot- CAS -dot- USF -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:30:55 -0400

I'm working on an in-house proposal at the University of South Florida
to improve our professional and technical writing program. The local
chapter of the STC has been quite helpful, but I find myself still
seeking the following:

1. We know undergraduates often lack the literacies of the
workplace (knowledge of tools for writers, knowledge of writing
processes, etc.) But do any of you know of any statistics/research that
supports this argument? I mean, I have figures on corporate
training-but not as it applies to tech writers in particular.
2. As a consultant, I find that businesses don't always get the
effects of clear communication. But now that we're colonizing the web,
are CEOs clearer on our value? Any studies about this?
3. What are the software tools that you believe all tech writers
should have mastered?

Thanks for considering my query.

Joe Moxley
Professor of English