Re: On Line Document Review

Subject: Re: On Line Document Review
From: Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CHEBUCTO -dot- NS -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:11:22 -0300

Hello Richard.

Many of your questions have been discussed on the EditOnline mailing
list. I believe there are archives for this list. If there are not, let
me know and I'll forward you the posts I saved. To get info on the
EditOnline list and/or archives, write to the listowner, David Dayton, at:

ddayton -at- TTACS -dot- TTU -dot- EDU

There's a lot of disagreement -- a small holy war -- on the
edit-online-vs-hardcopy subject. Engineers or others you highly depend
on for reviews) might rebel at the constraints of online editing. Be sure
to have senior management support (read: directive!) for this change.
Then follow up. I suggest an in-house workshop on whatever method you
decide upon. Then follow up individually, as usual... No amount of
electronic gadgetry will help engineers explain how their code works or
is supposed to work <g but true>, nor will it provide a CYA feature,
except perhaps Lotus Notes.

If you are using Word, the Comments feature is pretty good. I use it all
the time now. There have been some documented problems with using the
Track Changes feature, but I find it very helpful in comparing files.
There is *no* true electronic mark-up tool. Some use electronic Post-It
notes, many others use Acrobat's tools, still others use only those Word
features I mentioned. I'd hazard the guess that a true electronic
mark-up tool is on every online editor's wish list.

Hope this helps. Feel free to write me for clarification on anything,
Suzanne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=