Re: NetHelp2

Subject: Re: NetHelp2
From: Craig Sanders <csanders -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:50:14 -0700

Hello, Henry!

Not too many people are developing with NetHelp these days, I'm afraid. Least
of all Netscape, which has disbanded the product group as I recall.

I suggest you have a look at WebWorks Publisher from Quadralay as a possible
alternative. Publisher generates online docs from FrameMaker files and books,
giving you a choice of HTML (with a variety of enhancements), HTMLHelp (nice
but not cross-platform compatible), WinHelp (same argument), JavaHelp and
OracleHelp. The last two are cross-platform compatible, but are based on the
current offerings from Sun (JavaHelp) and Oracle. These two products,
unfortunately, are still slightly uncooked. They do work, they do provide true
cross-platform compatibility, but the feature list is still incomplete.
However, both Sun and Oracle are continuing development, and you can expect
Publisher to follow suit.

You can get a fully functional 30-day eval version of Publisher from
www.quadralay.com, and I also understand they (Quadralay) are offering free
tech support during the eval period. I've used the product for the last three
years and have found it to be the most versatile and robust tool of its kind on
the market.

Hope this helps,
Craig Sanders

--