Page ranges in an index

Subject: Page ranges in an index
From: "Stephen D. Murphy" <sdmurphy -at- SHEPARD-PATTERSON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:47:00 -0400

Hi Techwrlers,

I've developing a manual with two-level page numbers in each chapter
(e.g., the first page in chapter 4 is page 4-1). We're doing this to
facilitate easy changes to the manual.

Now, I am building an index (FrameMaker) and I want to indicate a page
range for some topics. It looks awkward, since there is a dash already
in the page number. For example:
"4-1-4-3" to indicate" 4-1 to 4-3"

I can think of several approaches:
1. Don't use ranges (a cop-out)
2. Use the word "to" as a separator (awkward and dumb-looking)
3. Use an en- or em-dash for the "to" part (doesn't really do the job
very well)

I'd like to come up with something that doesn't require a change to the
basic page number for the chapters (no roman numerals, no colon in the
page number, etc.)

Does anyone know if there is a "prescribed" solution to this, or have
you found your own way to handle it?

Thanks,

-Steve

Steve Murphy
Senior Technical Writer, Shepard-Patterson & Associates
2001 Jefferson Davis Highway, Suite 209
Arlington, Virginia
Voice: (703) 412-5072 Fax: (703) 412-5078
sdmurphy -at- shepard-patterson -dot- com
http://www.shepard-patterson.com
Adobe Certified Expert - FrameMaker, Acrobat
murphus -at- idsonline -dot- com
http://www.murphus.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=