Printer driver and PPD blues

Subject: Printer driver and PPD blues
From: David Rapport <dave -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:52:00 +0200

Dear All,

I'm experiencing some printer driver frustrations.

I want to produce a postscript file from Word 7 using the IBM network
printer 24 driver. Then I will send the file to be printed at a Kinkos in
New York.

There are a couple of problems here.

1. IBM Network Printer 24 Problem
=================================

I went to Kinkos' web site and from there to IBM and downloaded the IBM
Network Printer 24 driver. When I installed the driver, all the fonts were
messed up in Word -- they were very small while displayed on the screen,
even though the font size was correct. Printing to ps and distilling to get
a pdf also produced a very messy file.

When de-selecting "Default printer" from the IBM driver in the Printers
window, the display was fine. However, as soon as I printed to the driver,
the display was messed up again.

Any ideas?

2. Adobe PS 4.1 PPD Problem
===========================

Having no luck with the IBM driver, I downloaded the Adobe 4.1 ps driver
and tried installing that. During the installation it asks you for the PPD.
How on earth can I get the IBM Network Printer 24 PPD? I am clueless.

Any and all help would be most welcome.

TIA,

David Rapport

David Rapport