Re: WebWorks Publisher vs. RoboHelp (unbiased/rant)

Subject: Re: WebWorks Publisher vs. RoboHelp (unbiased/rant)
From: Sarah O'Keefe <okeefe -at- SCRIPTORIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:34:53 -0400

Mark Dempsey wrote:
>After about a month of experimenting with Webworks, however, I've
>abandoned it in favor of exporting Frame docs to HTML (File | Save
>as..|HTML). The mapping is simpler to understand, and the HTML is
>unalloyed with annoying Webworks artifacts and add-ons.

I think it's great that FrameMaker's Save As HTML feature is working for
your files.

In my experience, this makes the score something like WebWorks 50, Save As
HTML 1. <g>

I would prefer to use a free feature, rather than spending umpteen zillion
dollars for add-ons. But every time I've tried to get the Save As HTML
feature to work, I've had BIG problems. This has also been true for many of
my colleagues and acquaintances. Generally, people try to make Save As HTML
work first, and then get desperate and purchase WebWorks.

When I tried Save As HTML, I was unable to get the macros to work properly,
had problems with HTML reference pages misbehaving, and finally, did not
want a CSS file, which FrameMaker generates. I want HTML that doesn't
require IE4 or Communicator.

And incidentally, I've said all along that Save As HTML works fine for
small, simple documents. I just can't make it work for the big stuff.

YMMV.

Sarah

Sarah O'Keefe Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc.
FrameMaker ACE (Adobe Certified Expert)
okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com http://www.scriptorium.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=