Re: Writing for absolute beginners

Subject: Re: Writing for absolute beginners
From: Eric Hansen <ehansen -at- COMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:33:38 -0400

All:

I'm new to the list, but bold enough to contribute.

I often use a technique similar to Mike's: I imagine myself as the
audience, completely ignorant of the topic but not stupid. (As a former
freelance writer currently employed at a vendor supplying computer-based
training, web-based training and electronic performance support systems
to clients, that is often the actual case.)

Some specific things to watch out for are acronyms, jargon and vague
wording.

As a rule, spell out all acronyms on first use.
Don't use jargon. Use wording that can be understood by anyone.
Replace vague words with concrete words-the more concrete the better.
For example, a more concrete term for vehicle is car and a more concrete
term for car is `57 Chevrolet.

Hope this helps.

Eric Hansen