Re: Gender, Age and Dummies books

Subject: Re: Gender, Age and Dummies books
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:17:20 EDT

Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM> wrote:

>> I don't want to stir up a gender battle, but my observation of Dummies
>> books is that they are designed, written and marketed toward a largely
>> female readership, on the whole, with a secondary market being people
>> who are retraining and/or learning to use computers later in life.

Rowena's observation may or may not be generally valid. but I have read the
Author's Guidelines for the Dummies book series, and I don't recall anything
of the sort being mentioned. In fact, the editorial staff strives to make the
books gender-neutral. The books I've seen (and I've looked through a few
pretty closely 8^) don't strike me as biased toward men or women.

If the books are most used by women, it's not because of any particular effort
to make them female-friendly 8^)

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc, 67 S. Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:SJong -at- lightbridge -dot- com 781.359.4902[V], 781.359.4500[F]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=