Re: A career question

Subject: Re: A career question
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:36:21 -0700

Leonard,

I can only speak for myself, but I've found that in many cases working
for small companies is actually better, because you have to deal with a
different set of problems, and often that means that you are more
flexible. Many companies hiring contractors want a "white knight" -
someone to come in and save the day. What you know becomes infinitely
more important than where you used to work.

I've found that the jobs I've done for the smaller companies have gotten
me a lot more, both in terms of word-of-mouth contracts and experience.
They are often more fun, as well. You may find that you have a lot more
input into the final product. Also, a great many contracts are *for*
the smaller companies, and they may be more comfortable with the idea
that you know how smaller companies work.

I worked for Commodore back in the 80's (and a few other large companies
as well), but that never seemed to make a *lot* of difference. Of
course, YMMV.

Hope this helps,
-joanne

Porrello, Leonard wrote:

> As a contractor, is experience with a big company, say Compaq, more valuable
> than experience with a small company or many small companies, or does value
> come only from the types of things one does (this, actually, is what I would
> hope for)?

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com
The truth does not change according to our ability to
stomach it. - Flannery O'Connor

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=