Re: ARTICLE: "A Computer User's Manifesto"

Subject: Re: ARTICLE: "A Computer User's Manifesto"
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton__ -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 05:09:14 -0700

Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET> wrote:
> Personally, I found the whole article to be just a rehash of
> long-standing and well-known complaints without offering any added
> value.

In addition, I found it to be kind of naive. I'd love to produce
documentation that addresses the points raised in the article. But it
would take forever and it would be pretty expensive. Or I could spend
the vast majority of my waking hours to do it. I do what I can with
what I have and try to do better the next time. Now maybe that means
I'm insufficiently devoted to my profession, but that's the choice
I've made. And if it drags down the profession, then I apologize.

The same users that have all these rights are also demanding cheap
software that's available today. You can't get it cheap, now, and
perfect. The market (which is made up of users) drives the conditions
under which software and documentation are created.
==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=