Re: PDF Embedded fonts question

Subject: Re: PDF Embedded fonts question
From: Tom Campbell <tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:46:23 -0700

Brian,
Here are my responses to your questions:

(1) Should I embed fonts at all?
That depends on whether your users/readers have the fonts that are in your PDF file installed on their systems, and--if not--whether there's likely to be a compatible alternate on their systems. If you're in an intranet situation you may be less likely to need to embed the fonts. However, if you've used an exotic font such as Space Toaster (the font Chank Diesel designed for "Space Ghost Coast To Coast" [http://www.chank.com/fonts/toast.html]), you'll probably want to embed the font if you don't want the client machine to substitute something mundane like Arial.

If so,
(2) Should I embed all fonts (just in case)? Are there any drawbacks to this, file size, etc.?
If your PDF file will be read by The Public on the WWW or elsewhere, it might be a good idea to embed fonts. But you should embed a subset of the font(s), not the whole font. In other words, if only the characters e, t, a, o, i, and n appear in your file--but not s, h, r, d, l, u, or any others--you could embed only e, t, a, o, i, and n and reduce your file size.

(3) Or should I embedd only those fonts used in my current template (and hope I picked all of them)?
If you embed fonts, you would only need to embed the fonts that actually appear in the PDF file. If there are fonts or font styles in the template that aren't used in the PDF, don't worry about them.

---
Tom Campbell
tomcampbell -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM
"It's as large as life