Re: Document Control vs Source Control

Subject: Re: Document Control vs Source Control
From: Michael Collier <mcollier -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:43:55 -0500

I would say that this is not uncommon. Source control programs can manage all
kinds of file types. You don't get all the functionality of a document mangement
system, but then you don't have deal with all the overhead involved either (set
up, training, managing it).

joe -at- manage -dot- com on 09/25/98 01:07:45 PM

Please respond to joe -at- manage -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
cc: (bcc: Michael Collier/FSG/CSC)
Subject: Document Control vs Source Control

--------------E41AF98EDF82AA7C5C17DB82
The engineers in this company use a source-control product called MKS
(Source Integrity). Formerly, they used StarTeam but switched over.
I've been asked to use MKS for document control (the user guides, etc.).
I'm reading the MKS manual and creating a project which includes check
in, check out, version control, etc.
However, the manual is obviously written for programmers and I'm
wondering if it's common practice for tech pubs to use the source
control software too, or whether they pay extra and use software
designed for doc projects?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=