Re: Document Control vs Source Control

Subject: Re: Document Control vs Source Control
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:19:10 -0500

Re: Joe's message - "wondering if it's common practice for tech
pubs to use source control software too, or whether they pay extra and
use software designed for doc projects?"

I have not used it yet, but will soon be using Microsoft's
Visual Source Safe version control software. Our Engineering department
uses it, and it's easier and cheaper for me to use what's around rather
than investigate options and purchase another program. Plus I have the
benefit of experienced users in-house in case I have questions or
disasters (god forbid!). If I did not have Visual Source Safe at my
fingertips, I would absolutely invest in and use some sort of version
control software.

Catheryn Mason
Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications, Inc.