"Technical writer" in other languages

Subject: "Technical writer" in other languages
From: Chaim Chatan <chatan -at- IDI -dot- ORG -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:20:15 +0200

One of the problems that I have when I am describing our profession in
another language (French, Russian, Spanish) is that when I use the literal
translation for the word "technical writer," it comes out funny ("ecriteur
technique" in French, "escritor technico" in Spanish, "tekhnicheskii
pisatel'" in Russian). At least in Hebrew, which I also speak, the literal
translation "katav techni" is appropriate. How would one translate the word
"technical writer" or "technical writing" in French, Russian, or Spanish?
Chaim I. Chatan
P.O. Box 31928
Jerusalem 91318
ISRAEL