Presentation software

Subject: Presentation software
From: Roxanne Kent-Drury <rkdrury -at- NKU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:32:30 -0400

I teach professional writing to business and technical students at Northern
Kentucky University and serve on the department's technology committee. In
the past, we've used Powerpoint to get students started with creating
presentation materials. Recently, a colleague was told by a local
headhunter that the students should also be learning and have access to
Harvard Business Graphics, and that teaching them to use Powerpoint was
behind the times.

I'm aware that Harvard Business Graphics was one of the first presentation
software packages, but had not heard a great deal about it recently. I've
also used the demo for HBG '98 that is available on the web, and its
features do not appear to offer significantly more than Powerpoint offers.
Also, my impression was that most businesses purchase a package like
Microsoft Office for their day to day needs, although I'm sure much more
sophisticated programs are in use.

Could the list respond with comments about (1) which software packages are
most extensively in use for presentation materials and (2) the statuses of
Powerpoint and Harvard Business Graphics are in the business and technical
communities?

I apologize if my question is very basic. Thanks for your help!

Roxanne Kent-Drury
Assistant Professor
Literature and Language Department
Northern Kentucky University