Re: international directory of terms

Subject: Re: international directory of terms
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:40:38 -0700

Nobody ever said this was going to be easy, and I know it's a large
task.

I also know the best way to proceed with such a task is to start small.

Here's what I think is needed to start with:

* find out who the publishers are
* find out how many of the publishers are on the Internet today
* how many publishers are commercially-based vs. university-based
* what the state of the current resources are (are PDFs available, must
the text be downloaded via FTP, that sort of thing).
* find out how many dictionaries of technical terms exist, along with
the titles, prices and ISBN numbers of the published dictionaries.

Wayne Douglass is correct when he says that a lot of dictionaries of
technical terms already exist in the world. And John Renish is also
correct in saying publishers would want to be paid for access to their
dictionaries. But even if we start out with a list of these
dictionaries on the server, it beats what existed before. I don't
believe it currently exists. Besides, the publishers would wind up
begging the list (and maybe STC as well) to promote their dictionaries
on the server, once they find out this list is internationally-oriented.
:D

We have to start somewhere. :D I say let's do it. :D

Please send me lists of

[George Mena] snip

> Getting that kind of
> effort from _qualified_ volunteers is unlikely, so the project's
> organizers
> would ... have to get permissions from the publishers of existing
> dictionaries to use their
> translations. The latter strategy is obviously more viable. Publishers
> being what they are, however, access to the dictionary would have to
> be on
> a paid basis to make it attractive to them.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=