Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge

Subject: Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton__ -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 04:55:43 -0700

---"Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> wrote:

> That said, I'm often struck by just how much effort > we could save
by really understanding the
> technologies and tools that we use. Based on
> postings to this list and others, it seems that many
> of the confusing aspects of being a technical writer
> stem from not fully understanding the tools and
> technologies we use.

But what does that stem from? Lack of time, maybe. A lot of technical
writers need to know the documentation software, the product, delivery
methods, project management, how to win friends and influence people,
and the coming thing on both the documentation side and the product
side. I'm not griping about that; it's part of what makes the job
exciting. But it doesn't leave much left over for learning tools just
for learning's sake.

==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=