Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge

Subject: Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge
From: Buck and Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- NTWS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 07:11:53 -0500

I can't avoid responding to this thread any longer.

When I first started Tech Writing (so long ago that it was still called Tech
Writing) the tools of my trade were knowledge of aircraft maintenance and
typing. I remained employed throughout the various recessions because I
could produce twice the number of finished, well-written, readable pages
than my colleagues who used a pad and pencil.

Now, I remain employed because, despite the changing list of tools, I make
it a point to be reasonably expert(?) in PageMaker, Frame, RoboHelp,
PowerPoint, Word (ugh), and all the others that the jobs reuire.

I don't even bother to answer an ad if I'm not pretty good in the
applications required.

And yes, I do buy the software and write it off as an educational expense.

Are TECHWR-L members aware that at $780 round-trip they can buy the ticket,
travel to Singapore, rent a servie apartment, attend a class in several
applications, tour the country, enjoy the culture, and return 3 months later
smarter, happier, and ready for the new job? And only $5000 poorer for a
couple. Not a bad educational investment.

The only thing different is that now I use surgical tape to pull my wrinkles
back and out of sight for the job interview. Thankfully, I still have my
hair.

Those interested: please post me offlist and I'll give details.

Buck Buchanan
InterAmerican Publications
mailto:writer -at- ntws -dot- net or after October 15, 1998
mailto:buckntilly -at- hotmail -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=