Re: Designing a survey

Subject: Re: Designing a survey
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:33:43 -0400

What type of survey are you planning? The type of questions that should be
asked may vary, depending on whether the survey addresses software issues,
documentation issues, training issues, etc.

I have a couple of surveys I use on a regular basis; one for documentation and
one for training. I always use a scale of one to five with an explanation as
follows:

1 - Very dissatisfied
2 - Somewhat dissatisfied
3 - Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
4 - Somewhat satisfied
5 - Very satisfied

I divided the surveys into categories, for example in a training survey I will
have a section that deals with the training room. I will ask the following type
of questions:
How satisfied were you with the layout of the room?
How satisfied were you with the lighting?
How satisfied were you with the temperature?
How satisfied were you overall with the training room?
Do you have any comments or suggestions you'd like to make? (leave room)

By doing this, I can bucket the responses easily, as well as pinpoint the exact
source of any dissatisfaction. If I only asked for an answer on the room
overall, I still may not know what the problem is, since many people could be
dissatisfied, all for different reasons.

If you want, I can send you a sample of one of my surveys.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=