Re: <no subject>

Subject: Re: <no subject>
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:29:57 -0400

" Warning: The following is a newbie question and may
" contain content not appropriate for all readers. Proceed
" with caution. ;~)

EXCELLENT opening. It should defuse the knee-jerk complainers.

" * I need suggestions as to how I can get up to speed on the
" skills of writing online help and using RoboHELP. References to
" web sites are welcome (I have also done this on my own and it would
" be helpful to compare what I have found with what you suggest).

The web sites (and there are -lots- of them) are useful for review or
for emergency cut-and-paste surgery to solve a particular problem.
So far, I still find print references more helpful than web sites for
actually -learning- something.

Mary Deaton and Cheryl Locket Zubak have written an excellent series
of books on help system development. I have two:
A "Real World" Look at Windows Help Authoring Tools
(self-published through their company, Work Write(tm))

Designing Windowns 95 Help: a Guide to Creating Online Documents.
QUE, 1996 ISBN 0-7897-0362-9

My copy of Designing..., since it was published in 1996, is still
extremely useful for a beginner. Although it may be out of date when
it talks about software versions, the design principles and the
WinHelp 'anatomy' lessons are excellently written, as are the
step-by-step tutorials. I'm using it in my self-education project
with RoboHELP (courtesy of the same STC freebie) and, while I may
want more detail later on the newest RoboH features, Deaton's book
certainly gets five stars on my Newbie Usefullness Scale. Check your
local bookstore or Amazon.com; there may be another edition out by
now that covers the latest software.

" * I would also like to get ideas about projects that I could
"make
" up" in order to plan the online help (since I assume that I can't
create
" context sensitive help on my own without a product and an engineer
for
" the proper coding- right?).

I'm starting with my resume. This seems like a reasonable small
project to start with and, since I can't fit everything on two
printed pages any more (at least, not in a font size I can read with
trifocals <grin>), it should come in handy as a prop for interviews.

" * I would like to know if there is anyone out there kind
enough
" (and crazy enough?) willing to critique such a project after I
create
" it.

I'd love to, but I don't know whether I'll have access to a Windows
machine. I have my spare Mac running SoftWindows, but it's in use at
the moment for the software I'm documenting. I'd be happy to do a
walk-through of a print prototype, though. Or---if you can wait
until Christmas---I'll be finished with this project and can use my
SoftWindows machine for something else for a while.

Good luck!

K@
katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services
Technical writing | Editing | Conversions | Webstuff

"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money,
and of money into calories again are the three cycles in a
freelance writer's metabolism." /Mary Kittredge, _Poison Pen_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=