Re: Format Advice

Subject: Re: Format Advice
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 18:42:29 -0700

They aren't and shouldn't be mutually exclusive. When I was taking an
Information Mapping course, we were encouraged to make the design as
attractive as possible. Anything that helps make the content more
useful and more appealing will help the users. Stark black and white
isn't bad, but it's boring. If you have the capability to do color or
halftones, that can be part of another technique for grouping types of
information.

This is one time when you can have everything with a little care and
planning.

BJ

Dennis Crowley wrote:

> All,
>
> I am about to began the process of determining a format for our user guides.
> They are paper documents on 8.5 x 11 standard paper. There are basically two
> schools of thought.
>
> One group of writers wants to use a format that "looks good" but has no
> basis in instructional design........................
>
> The other group leans more to the IMI school of thought (lots of white
> space, labeling, chunking, accessible graphics, etc.).

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=