Re: Word and Word Viewer

Subject: Re: Word and Word Viewer
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:48:59 -0500

In our previous episode, Keith Hatchard said:

> Head office has decided to ship user manuals in an a Word format and
> distribute the Word Viewer along with the documents.
>
> I need to have control over fonts and pagination; I want our
> customer's manuals to be identical to the ones our help desk
> technicians use.
>
> 1. Is there a way to embed fonts in a Word document?

Yes. Go to Tools|Options|Save, and check "Embed TrueType fonts in
document." This will, of course, only work for TrueType fonts, not
Type 1 fonts.

Furthermore, I have no idea whether it allows a person with Word
Viewer but not the fonts to read the document correctly.

> 2. Is there a way to keep the pagination consistent, even when
> printing with different printer drivers?

Not that I know of, other than manually tweaking the document by
putting in hard page breaks.

> I know Adobe's PDF format looks after both these problems, but
> management is reluctant to go that route.

Then uniformity in viewing is one of the trade-offs that goes in the
minus column.

Note also that Word Viewer is really pretty lame if you want to do
more than take a quick look at the document. It works fine tied to
search engines, but I'd hate to read documents with it.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"If you can forgive your parents and forgive the Cubs, you can save
about $25,000 in therapy."
-- Steve Goodman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=