Developing tech communication department

Subject: Developing tech communication department
From: Samuel Elswick <selswick -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:55:54 -0200

I work for a growing technology consulting company, and have been hired
as a technical communication consultant to meet the documentation needs
of my company's existing clients.

Unlike the other IT services we provide, my company does not have a
formal department for providing TC services, although it would like to.
My management has admitted to me that they currently do not have the
experience or expertise in this area to develop TC into a full-fledged
consulting service, although they see that such a service could add real
value to the company. Currently, the tech writers on our staff are in a
limbo, placed at a client site that can use their talents, but without
any real direction...we are basically contractors placed at a site on a
semi-permanent basis--we will stay there until we are no longer needed,
at which time we will go somewhere else.

I have been given the opporunity to provide a proposal to management
that will allow for the development of a TC department within the
company that will provide a full range of TC consulting services to
clients on a project basis, with clear goals and objectives, rather than
the nebulous, semi-permanent situation we are currently in. However, as
I am relatively inexperienced myself, I was wondering if anyone could
give me some advice on the kinds of issues I should address in this
proposal, and maybe help me develop a model for a complete TC consulting
department (i.e., staffing requirements, facilities and equipment,
client acquisitions, etc.). We aren't a large company (around $10 millon
annual revenues), but management has no problem with spending money if
they think the business will benefit. With the proper guidance and a
convincing proposal, I think this could be a good opportunity for me; I
definitely look forward to the challenge of creating a TC department
from the ground up! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor E.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=