SCREAM CAPTURES

Subject: SCREAM CAPTURES
From: "Eisenberg, Neil" <NeilE -at- INTERWORLD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:43:06 -0400

I was recently put to the task of trying to improve the quality of the
graphics in our manuals. Currently, we capture color screens using
PaintShop Pro or Capture Professional 3 on a PC, save the files as GIF, link
them by reference to Framemaker files, save the files in postscript format,
and print the files in a black/white Docutech format. As a result, our
graphics appear readable, but not crisp. I've noticed that manuals printed
in a similar fashion on glossy paper seem better, but the cost of the higher
quality paper is not an option for me. Does anybody know of a technique to
improve the quality of the graphics on the production end, rather than on
the printing end? Is there a 'best' format to save color graphics (i.e.
GIF, jpg) that will later be printed in B/W? Will any technique also
improve my PDF quality?

Thanks for the help!

Neil Eisenberg
Technical Writer