Re: "based" hyphenations

Subject: Re: "based" hyphenations
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:24:11 -0700

Debra M. Heit asked:

>Can someone please provide Web resources for questions that may come up
>regarding hyphenation and things of that sort? In the meantime, I'm
>under the assumption that the following words should be hyphenated. Is
>that correct?
>
>browser based
>web based

The normal rule in English is that a compound adjective--that is, an
adjective formed of two or more words--is hyphenated. So yes,
browser-based and web-based. Sometimes, though, you might want to relax
this rule, particular in document titles, where the hyphen might seem ugly.

>And, once and for all, I'd like to clarify whether the word Internet is
>a proper noun and, thus, capitalized.

An internet is a group of connected networks. The Internet is the famous,
enormous one through which we are now communicating.

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=